Friday, February 20, 2015

The Empty Nest.... sorta...

I think we are getting a good dose of what it's going to be like when all three of my birdies have flown the coop... Brittany has moved into her own house, Bailey lives on the college campus, and Briley is in the 8th grade.  ~ sigh ~

Life is becoming so boring and dull for Al and I; we might have to find a hobby?  Or remember what we liked about each other 26 years ago???
That's really anybody's guess at this point, we've been together so long and had kids for so many years, I doubt we can even remember what we liked about each other that long ago. 

Yes, I know... we still have one little birdie that lives at home, but she's a busy birdie.  Thankfully Briley is very involved in band and theater arts, she's an A student, and very focused on school and school activities.  So far she's the easiest of the birdies and is no where near the high maintenance of others.  (whew... I finally got it right on the 3rd try!)

Thus.... the reason I feel like the next four years for her in High School are going to be an eye opening experience for usWe are going to be lonely!!  :) Briley is becoming increasingly busy with her friends (which are all wonderful), her interests, and while we joyfully support that, the selfish mom in me is sitting back here waving profusely saying "HOLD UP!!  What about me?? Don't you need me??" 

Oh well, such is life... I knew we would eventually be on the downhill side of raising kiddos, and I'm very proud of the three we have raised.  God has been very good to us and we are very blessed to have three beautiful souls and all three very different girls that understand the importance of family and values, whether they want to admit it or not. 

Why the sudden sentimentality?  Well... it's like this... this week we had to sign off on the direction of Briley's high school years.  Yes, that hit me like a ton of bricks.  High school is upon us; it's really going to happen; my baby is four quick years away from flying the coop....(wiping away a tear). 

Not to worry, our life and household will still be full of fun and fireworks, this pretty much depicts our relationship over the past 26 years.  HA HA HA!  I'm fairly certain that I will continue to have lots of topics to write about.  My sarcasm and snarky-ness runs deep!  :)

2 comments:

Diana Ferguson said...

Hi Amy. Somehow whether by accident or not I ended up here today as I was going through some files! I was scanning and noticed the posts about your daughter's accident. I live 45 minutes from Gainesville. That whole thing hit me when it happened for several reasons -- a mom, an educator, a college attendee there at that school years ago,etc. I am so thankful your daughter is healing! I pray God will continue to bless you guys as he has already.

BTW--I noticed you joined my Texas Blogging Gals several years ago! That was so fun.

Vintage Chicken said...

Diana, Thanks for stopping by to visit! Over the process of healing from this tragedy, we have crossed paths with so many that know of the situation and have continued to wish Bailey the best in her recovery. Thank you, too. We've learned so much from this and had our faith in God strengthened. We appreciate your well wishes. Keep checking in on my little blog and Bailey's progress.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin